Melancholia

Melancholia

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My Unattractive Tardiness

So here I am, bored at work again, and wisely using the time to do something other than be productive.

Last weekend, on the Friday, I met my proofreader and her boyfriend at my favourite music venue to watch a friend and his band. They left early because she was way too drunk, and after the bar closed, I went with a bunch of dudes to Denny's. I have not been to a Denny's since my college days. It brought back fond memories of going out to the bar with friends, and then needing to satisfy the munchies when nothing else was open. It's an interesting cross-section of society that ends up at Denny's in the middle of the night.

So as I mentioned, I've been having more difficulty getting out again and Friday was no exception. I was literally dreading it.

It doesn't make sense. I had plans to go to one of my favourite places, to do something I love doing and meet up with people I genuinely like. So why is it when the time comes, I always just want to hide under a rock and die? When I came home from work on Friday, I took one of my "I-don't-want-to-be-alive-right-now-so-I'm-just-going-to-take-a-nap-and-hope-the-world-goes-away-naps". This of course made me late and I missed some of their performance.

I didn't expect to see this guy, who is a drummer in another band, but he was sitting at our table. Here I was, trying not to be too hard on myself for being late, when this guy, we'll call him D, gave me a hard time about it. I told him, that was just me, it's my thing. His response? "Tardiness is a very unattractive quality", to which I responded "Did you just call me unattractive?" Despite my apparent unattractiveness he was extremely affectionate all night. He is probably the most flirtatious, affectionate guy I have ever met. Now I have people reading too much into his behaviour. And it makes me wonder. And it makes me think of things I shouldn't think about. Did I mention that he is actually a really, really good boy? Like hypothetically speaking, his only motivation for wanting to be with me would have to be to save me? I can just see him asking me out on a date, to his church, and me having to explain why I musn't enter for fear of bursting into flames.

So this weekend there is a music festival taking place along a popular avenue. There will be concerts of all kinds going on all day and all night at pretty much every bar along the avenue. You pay thirty bucks for a wristband for the whole weekend. I'm still not sure if I'm going. But it sounds pretty fun.

I guess we shall see.

No comments: